Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How to always get perfect shapes on your nails!



I created this mini tutorial to share how to create the perfect shapes on your nails. I saw this once before on another blog and wrote a blog post about it a while ago. This is perfect for anyone, even if you don't have the patience or skill of being an ambidextrous nail artist. 


These are the supplies you need. I already had a mani so I didn't have the creative flexibility to use the colors I wanted. (It was kinda spur of the moment to make this tut, but I'll redo it again probably tomorrow and will do it with the colors I want) You need nail polishes of your choice, a top coat (not pictured, I always use Seche Vite) Hole punches and masking tape, or painters tape. I like to use the thin one so its easier to use.


The above picture is the mani I had prior to this tut. 


Punch out the shapes and design on your masking tape. It may be tricky because of the stickiness but its not hard, just try not to let it stick to your hole puncher. I found my individual heart whole puncher at a dollar store. Its PERFECT because its a little heart that definitely fits on your nail. 


Attach the tape to your nail FIRMLY. You don't want the polish to bleed. 


Apply your polish. Be fun and creative in this step, add dots, glitter, leopard print anything that comes to mind in this step. Its easy to do it because the masking tape is covering the nail and its almost impossible to mess up! I stayed simple for this tut. 


GENTLY and SLOWLY peel off the masking tape. I wait about a minute or so after I have applied my polish. There is no rush and I can't stress it enough do it slowly and softly so it doesn't mess up. The great thing about this is that the masking tape is reusable. I used the same one above on my index finger to make a small white heart (picture below) 


Here is a pic of more hearts I made. The bigger hearts are just a bigger hole punch I have. See easy, fun and super duper cute. :-) 

14 comments:

  1. This is genius and super cuuute!!!!!!!Thanks for sharing!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! We are creating a how-to video for LAQA & Co. nail pens - which will be on sale on our site starting Friday, June 15th. This would be extra easy with one of their pens! I am going to reference your blog in our video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! That's so cool! I am going to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed this. Thanks for referencing my blog post with the sale of your pens, its very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I'll have to try this, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Kate and Carissa! :-) Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg I love this! in order to get that cool ombre look like Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games, u paint ur nails hot pink then take some gold primer glitter and use an old eyeshadow foam thingy and gently rub from the top to middle of ur nail. make sure to check out my blog madelinerose.me for more nails!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where can I buy those hole punches?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be great for airbrushing too. Rather difficult to hold a stencil and airbrush at the same time. Taping a stencil to your own finger doesn't work, because the paint can get underneath it. This would be perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can get the hole punches anywhere that sells scrap booking or crafting supplies. Even Walmart and a lot of Dollar stores sell them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this 5 times and it didn't work for me. Maybe because I was using electrical tape?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute idea!! Very creative way to customize your nails - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really cute. Great inspiration! Thank you for showing us how to do this.

    ReplyDelete